How the Planning System Works

  • Applicant applies to East Riding Of Yorkshire Council (ERYC) for planning permission if needed.
  • ERYC refers the application to the Parish Council and to some residents who maybe directly affected (such as residing next door) for comments.
  • The Parish Council does not take the final decision but can either approve or recommend refusal, taking into account views of residents who can attend Parish Council meetings to state their views. In many cases the Parish Council may well sympathise with your views but the final decision does not always follow their recommendations.
  • The application then goes back to ERYC (Western Planning Committee) for a decision, taking into account the Parish Council's and Resident's views who may be allowed to attend committee meetings.
  • An appeal against a refusal of permission by ERYC can be made to the Planning Inspectorate at Bristol who will give a final decision. This can only be challenged in the High Court.
Contact the Parish Clerk if you require any other information or assistance.


Planning Applications

The East Riding Planning Public Access website allows you to:-

  • Register and monitor the progress of planning applications
  • Submit comments about an application
  • Search a constantly updated list of applications validated & decided each week
  • View details of planning appeals, planning applications and enforcements.
  • View property details by reference to a map
  • View Associated Documents. These include plans, application forms & decision documents.
After entering the site you will see a top menu giving access to current planning activity with simple or advanced search options and a full list of properties with map facilities.

Note that Parish Council often ask for an extension of time to respond to a Planning Application in order that a discussion can take place at a full council meeting. This extension of time applies only to the Parish Council. Individual/public comments must reach East Riding and the Parish Council by the time noted on the original application document.

Swanland Parish Planning reference numbers are available from the Parish Clerk and published in the Council minutes.

Applications can also be viewed on the Parish Notice Board by the pond or at ERYC Customer Service Centres in Anlaby & Hessle. Residents can contact or address the Parish Council or send comments direct to the appropriate Case Officer at Planning & Development Control, County Hall, Beverley, HU17 9BA. quoting the reference number.

Whilst unable to express an opinion publicly, your Ward Councillors will also listen to applicants and objectors comments on planning applications.

The maps below are ©Crown Copyright 2007 and can be viewed by clicking on the image

Parish Map